WorkCover NSW has issues the following Safety Alert, outlining the risks
associated with the use of flammable hydrocarbon refrigerants.
While the Safety Alert is focussed on motor vehicle airconditioning systems, it
applies equally to stationary plant and airconditioning and refrigeration
The Alert advises that:
- Before using hydrocarbons to re-gas equipment, check with the manufacturer
to ensure that the equipment can be safely used with hydrocarbons;
- Obtain written permission from the equipment manufacturer;
- Conduct a workplace risk assessment;
- Warn the customer of safety issues and obtain written approval from the
- Be aware that equipment warranties could be voided by the use of
AREMA believes that manufacturer's instructions should be followed at all
times, and that flammable refrigerants should only be used in equipment
specifically designed for their safe use.